Only Need to Fill a Few Capsules?
You might only need to make a few capsules to avoid a bad tasting medicine or simply want to improve your skills at hand filling capsules.
Get Started Filling Capsules
First, choose what ingredients you’ll want to use.
You can use a single herb or a combination of ingredients. Try creating a unique herbal blend that’s unavailable in stores. Browse the blog for recipe suggestions or try one my copycat capsule recipes that mimics the formulas of well-known brands.
Choose a dosage
Decide what dosage you would like and use that to determine the necessary capsule size. Capsules come in a variety of sizes and you can also choose the standard material of gelatin or vegetarian. To learn more about capsule sizes and materials, please see our blog post Choosing the Right Capsule for Your Filling Needs.
If you’d like to see all the sizes before you commit to buying a big bag, you can purchase a seven-size variety pack to try them out. This handy package features a dozen or more of each popular size, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0, 00, and 000. Plus it comes with a simple to understand chart to help you calculate milligrams based on the different densities of powders. Check it out HERE on Amazon.
Do a little math
This part is not always necessary. You could just buy a bulk bag of powder and have leftovers. But for those of you who need precision, a simple math problem of milligrams x the number of capsules will give you how much you need. There are lots of free and easy milligram to ounce converters online.
Gather your materials
The empty capsules
A capsule filling machine
A clean workspace, preferably with a washable place mat
Some small bowls to organize capsule tops
A strainer to sift powder for clumps (optional)
Disposable gloves (optional)
Get busy filling!
Things to Expect Your First Time Filling Capsules
1) A mess. Plain & simple. Expect it if this is your first time, that’s what the place mat is for. You could also use paper plates under your filler and pour the powder back into the container to re-use and save it.
2) Fumble-fingers. If you have a filling machine that requires you to separate the capsules manually, you may, all of sudden, feel like your fingers are huge! This especially happens when you use the smaller sized capsules. The dexterity will come, you’ll find your groove and your rhythm, and soon you’ll be breezing through it.
3) Some broken or crushed capsules. When this happens, it really contributes to the mess factor. This will happen most in the beginning as you get a feel for you individual filling machine. Pushing down to hard when putting the tops back on, can cause the bottoms of the capsules to pinch in, crush, or even split. You have to learn to finesse your technique, that will make the process go smoothly.
4) Satisfaction of a job well done.
Capsule Filling is a Job Worth Doing
Mastering a capsule filler is one of those skills that is often best learned by making mistakes. Remember not to let it get you disheartened. Think about all the money you will save and how good it feels to accomplish this new task all by yourself. Feel confident that you will emerge from the giant cloud of powder, a capsule filling pro.
You can try all seven gelatin capsule sizes with this Handy Capsule Kit available on Amazon HERE.
Have all capsule sizes readily available to you at a moment’s notice.
Includes the rare sizes that are appropriate for small children and small pets.
Every household should have one of these kits!
– This kit is great for those who only need to use capsules a few times a year.
– For those who have to swallow a bad tasting herb or medicine.
– When you need to hide medicine in you dog’s food.
Cost saving & convenient!
You’ll get one dozen (12) gelatin capsules in EACH size (from smallest to largest) 4, 3, 2, 1, 0, 00, and 000.
All capsules are made from high quality BSE-free 100% bovine pharmaceutical gelatin, and both Kosher Pareve and Halal certified.
Comes with free sizing and dosing charts.
This handy reference guide will help you:
– When you have to take a teaspoon of something, you’ll quickly know how many capsules (of any of the 7 sizes) you’ll need to take.
– If you need to take specific milligrams of something, you’ll quickly know which size capsule to use and/or how many.
Each size comes individually packaged in 3″ x 3″ zip-lock bags.
Capsules are manufactured in the USA.